School- Parent Compact Murdy Elementary
It is important that families and schools work together to help students achieve high academic standards. Through a process that includes teachers, families, students and community representatives, the following are agreed upon roles and responsibilities that we, as partners, will carry out to support student success in school.
Murdy Elementary and parents agree that this compact outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and parents will build and develop a partnership, that will help children achieve the State’s high standards.
We, the school staff, will provide high-quality curriculum and instruction, support children’s learning and agree to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of our ability:
- Provide: quality teaching and leadership to students and families, a positive safe environment and variety of teaching strategies to meet student needs. Provide opportunities for all students to learn.
- Provide parents with support contacts. (Allow parents to feel comfortable in calling or visiting school).
- Provide training and support to students, parents and staff, for reinforcing a growth mindset.
CLASSWORK & HOMEWORK
- Provide general tips and resources on how to support students with homework
- Assign homework that reinforces skills taught in school. Hold students accountable for completing assignments.
- Communicate with families both written and verbal with timely responses.
- (a) be available to parents and students to provide extra support whenever possible. Communicate frequently and consistently with families about students’ learning and behavior
- (b) communicate teacher expectations through conferences, phone calls, and notes home.
- The administration will support teachers and students with issues related to discipline, truancy, tardiness, supplies, equipment, curriculum, training, and positive reinforcement.
- (a) Communicate academic and behavioral expectations throughout the year.
- (b) maintain and enforce consistent academic and behavioral standards for students.
- Provide follow-through and support between teachers and home (calls, absences, tardies, etc).
- Keep current with research-based educational techniques, current issues; continue professional growth as educators.
- Provide parents with specific strategies to enhance education of all students.
We, as parents, will support our child’s learning and agree to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of our abilities:
- Ensure children:
- (a) attend school daily and are on time, ready to learn.
- (b) are well-rested, fed, well-groomed and have materials as needed.
- Reinforce a growth mindset and the importance of struggle in Learning rovide parents with specific strategies to enhance education of all students.
CLASSWORK & HOMEWORK
- Check papers, textbooks and other materials that are sent home so they know what your child is learning. Maintain an open line of communication between themselves, student, and school to check on student’s progress frequently. Attend all conferences and school functions.
- Ensure students have a time and place to complete homework. Take initiative to pick-up (or arrange for pick-up) of student work when children are absent.
- Communication from teacher and/or school is read and signed (if requested) and returned promptly. Provide positive or negative reinforcement at home, as necessary, to support classroom teachers. Encourage and maintain positive attitudes towards school.
- Ensure children have a library card and are trained to use the library and available resources. Ensure that your child reads at home daily.
I, as a student, will take responsibility for my learning & agree to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of my ability:
- Come to school on time, everyday with a positive attitude and ready to learn.
- Be prepared to be responsible, motivated, and active learners who demonstrate pride in themselves and school.
- Practice a growth mindset, knowing that struggle is necessary for learning.
CLASSWORK & HOMEWORK
- Pay attention, listen actively, follow directions and participate.
- Give their best effort, produce quality work, and, ask questions and get help when needed.
Complete and return homework on time, having put forth 100% effort with parent signature if requested.
Follow school and classroom rules at all times, including demonstrating respect for self and others.
- Read everyday for 20 to 30 minutes (minimum) and practice math facts daily.